Saturday, October 22, 2016

Lifelong Learning

"Teaching in schools will improve 
if we first train good teachers 
who develop the student's ear 
and give a general musical knowledge."
~Zoltan Kodály


With Kodály's words in mind, I am taking a musicianship class at Holy Names University to continue my musical education. It is a challenging course, but the class size is small, so I have a lot of potential to grow! It has been helpful to be a student in the subject I'm teaching, to experience the same kinds of exercises at a much higher level. This helps me to have an eye on the long-term trajectory for my students in terms of what they could accomplish with continued support over years of study. Another reason for the course is that it keeps me connected to my local community of musicians and educators. Because this is a newly-created position at my school, I have no colleagues within the organization who are teaching what I do. This weekly connection in class gives me an outlet and sounding board that are important for sustainability in my new role!

No comments:

Post a Comment